New Zealand’s sun is harsh and sometimes it feels like your only option is to stay indoors to avoid being burnt. But boy, do we have some good news for you. You can be Sun Smart and still have a good time outside with your family.
We all know it’s painful when our skin turns red and we begin to peel. But did you know that being burnt repeatedly causes permanent damage? The reality is that tanned skin, is damaged skin.
“The only safe tan is a fake tan”
It’s often thought that you only get burnt when it’s hot and the sun is out. However, this is a dangerous misconception. The reason we burn is that the sun sends out three types of radiation:
- Visible light - we see this as sunlight
- Infrared radiation – we feel this as heat
- UV radiation – we can’t see or feel this
People often confuse infrared (heat) and UV (undetectable to us) radiation. So, when the temperature is cool it means less infrared radiation but not necessarily less UV radiation.
One way we can be Sun Smart is to understand when you need to take most care in the sun. Therefore, Clive recommends protecting yourself between 10am and 4pm, regardless of the weather.
So how do we keep ourselves protected? The best advice is still to Slip, Slop, Slap and Wrap.
- Slip – into a shirt and into the shade
- Slop – on some sunscreen (SPF 30+ broad spectrum is best) 15 to 20 minutes before going outdoors; apply thickly to all uncovered areas including your face, nose, ears and behind your neck; re-apply sunscreen often (every 2 to 3 hours), especially after swimming
- Slap – on a hat with a wide-brim or a cap with flaps
- Wrap – on a pair of sunglasses (close-fitting, wrap-around ones). UV radiation is just as dangerous to eyesight as it is for your skin
The team at Clive's Chemist can provide you with a lot more Sun Smart information so give us a call us on 04-564 8618. We have expert advice, especially about the best sunscreen for you and your children.
New Post Box in Town
Got a letter to post? When the local Post Shop was relocated to The Strand, we heard our customers were finding this a difficult challenge, especially our older community members. So we lobbied and got a convenient Post Box placed right in front of Clive’s Chemist, just for you. Now you can conveniently post your letters while you’re out shopping. Just make sure you pop in and say ‘hi!’ while you’re here.
You’re 2016 New Year’s ResolutionThis one piece of advice could make 2016 your happiest year to date. Being happy is also associated with lots of health benefits. Some of these include having a lower resting heart rate, lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol and lowers your risk of heart disease. So write down some reasons as to why you’re grateful, today.
Clive's Happy Thought
When you are content you stop comparing your life to everyone else’s life around you
Then what you have becomes enough!
Now that takes the stress out of life
See you in store soon :-)