We say it every year and we make no apologies for nagging – please get your flu jab.
No one is immune to the flu. It can strike at any time and can make you seriously ill and confine you to bed for at least a week.
Each year, flu infects 10-20% of New Zealanders, with thousands needing the attention of their doctor, being hospitalised, and some even dying. The flu has a sudden onset and is accompanied by some (or all) of the following symptoms:
- fever and chills
- body aches and pains
Influenza can cause pneumonia and can trigger existing medical conditions, making them worse.
Clive’s top tips to prevent the flu
1. A flu vaccination can offer proven, effective immunity against the virus. It’s free for those at high risk from complications. Talk to your doctor or the Happy Chemist team to see if you qualify. You can get your flu jab here in the familiar and private environment of our clinic in Clive's Chemist, Monday to Friday.
"It's quick, convenient, and you don't need an appointment, so come on in and see us. We'd much rather you come in now for the flu jab than need to come in later for flu medication!” – Clive
- Stay active. Exercising regularly will improve your immunity and your mood.
- Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
- A healthy immune system is the best defence against cough, cold and flu. We have a range of supplements to help maintain a healthy immune system and general well-being. We’ll help you find the right options.
- If you’re asthmatic, take your reliever inhalers regularly. Talk to us to make sure your technique is helping you get the best relief.
- Is your house well insulated? There may be a subsidy available to help you with this, available until the end of June 2018.
- Pay attention to hygiene. When coughing, cover your mouth, use disposable tissues, and wash your hands. And if you are unwell, please stay at home (apart from your visit to us of course!) Otherwise, you'll spread the virus, making other people sick too.
Let’s keep Wainuiomata happy and healthy!