This can be a busy and stressful time of the year meaning you’re more susceptible to mouth ulcers. These can be very painful, make you miserable – not something you need while you prepare race to towards Christmas.
Damage to the protective lining of your mouth can lead to mouth ulcers and usually develop when you’re feeling stressed or run down. Ulcers can be caused by:
- eating or drinking very hot or acidic foods/drinks
- having poorly-fitting dentures that rub the gums
- biting your inner cheeks
How to avoid them
Prevent ulcers from developing by:
- keeping stress levels down
- getting plenty of physical exercise
- getting a good night’s
- eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
- eating whole grain breads and cereals
- eating food rich in vitamins B and C vitamins
- taking vitamin B and C supplements
Also, having good oral hygiene is important. Remember to brush your teeth regularly with a soft toothbrush, book regular dental check-ups, and ensure your dentures fit well.
Ulcers usually clear-up without treatment in one to two weeks. If you’re feeling really uncomfortable, there’s a wide range of medicines to provide relief, aid healing, and reduce the pain. Go B complex, pictured below is a great example. However, there are many treatments available over the counter, so come in and see us.